Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Avocado Salsa!!

I luuuuuurve avocados.  They've always been one of my favorite fruits.  Back in California, my uncle had an avocado tree in his backyard!.  We'd just go and grab a few and snack on them.   You could buy 4 for a dollar at the roadside veggie stand, it was amazing.  They are one of the few produce items I really miss over here.  Yeah, most stores have them, but they're usually gnarly spensy, and I'll have to wait a week before they're ripe!  However, when I can find them on sale, I snatch up as many as I can and eat myself into an avocado coma!!


There are so many benefits to this fruit.  It has a high fat content, but it's mostly monounsaturated fat, which is quite good for you, especially in an animal-fat-free vegan/vegetarian diet.  It has a rich butteryness and a distinctive flavor.  While not sweet like other fruits, it has a decent amount of fiber. 
A universal use of avocado is in guacamole, which is easy and delicious!  Avocados, mashed with a fork and mixed with lime juice, salt, and some minced jalapeno.  You can add garlic if you want some extra punch! 
Since avocados are so smooth, you can spread them on toast or add to a baked potato.  Sometimes I even replace the butter or oil in a recipe with smooshed avocado!!  It turns out wonderfully.  Rich and moist.  
Well, on to the salsa, ehh?  I learned this recipe years ago, and I used to eat it way more back when I had access to bountiful, inexpensive avocados.  There was a sale the other day, so yes, I bought up pounds and pounds and this is the perfect way to enjoy them!  It's a complete 180 from the way most people have experienced avocado.  The flavors are definitely not south-of-the-border inspired.  
This salsa will go wonderfully as a side to any meat or veggie dish.  


You will need,
3 ripe avocados
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1 teaspoon red pepper flake
dash of salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
the juice of 1/4 lime


Halve, pit, peel, and chop the avocado into 1/4 inch pieces.  Chop up the olives.  



In a small bowl combine the red pepper, salt, oil, garlic, and juice.  
Gently mix that together with the olives and avocado.  Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!



Eat with a grilled pork chop or chicken breast!  It will go with so many different things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment