Thursday, October 18, 2012

Apple Picking!!

It's Autumn!  That means pumpkin flavored EVERYTHING and Apple Picking!
Last weekend a ginormous group of friends organized by my dear friend Tim, trotted all over the Virgina countryside in search of wonderful wines, appetizing apples, and perfect pumpkins!
My friend Mike (who takes uhhhhmazing photos) and I found a particularly peculiar apple and just had to make an apple bottom joke out of it!
The day was an unrivaled success and, satisfied with my choice of apples and wine, I went home and promptly began to bake!
First things first, 
Peel, core, and slice/cube your apples (I used 8 big ones).  Apples are sticky yet remarkably slippery, so be vewwy vewwy careful not to add a piece of yourself.  
After you have cubed all the apples into 1/4 inch pieces, add,
1/2 c white sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons starch (I used potato)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
the zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix it all up and let it sit overnight.  
The next day, you'll have a lovely bowl of syrupy apple bits!
These apple bits can be used as pie filling! Turnovers, tarts, and homey goodness!!  Put it on top of pancakes, put it inside a peanut butter sandwich.  I even put it in my oatmeal and yogurt!!

I also made some pie crust dough using Paula Deen's recipe.  It's uhmazing and I even added a few pinches of cinnamon to the dough!  I put it in the fridge overnight with the apples, but first I made sure it was mega-airtight in some plastic wrap.

In the next few posts, I'll go over some recipes!! Cheers!

*You can change the sugar amount as much as you like



No comments:

Post a Comment