Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Avocado Vinagrette!!

Ohhh Avocado!  I've waxed poetic on the subject before.  
Well, I wanted to have a salad last night, and I wanted avocado in it.  But one of the things that kind of annoys me, is that if you cut it up, you'll only get some avo every few bites.  I wanted ALL avo ALL the time.  So I made it into a dressing for a a BLT salad!  The creaminess of the avocado really compliments the saltiness of the bacon and astringency of the greens. 

In a bowl I combined
1/2 and avocado
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon greek yogurt or sour cream
A few chopped up basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
kosher salt, black pepper
A squeeze of citrus (totes optional)

I then cooked and crumbled 3 strips of bacon (saving the drippings of course!!)

I mashed up the ripened avocado with a fork and mixed in all the other ingredients.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend, and then mixed it up again.  It was a pale green and uber creamy dressing!!

I took a bag of greens and chopped it all up with my kitchen shears.  (It's incredible, an entire bag of spring mix can be reduced to half its size with a little snipping)  I tossed in a few chopped cherry tomatoes, the crumbled bacon, a small handfull of shredded cheese and mixed it all together with some of the dressing!  It was a delicious salad that completely hit the spot!  Avocado in every bite!!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Cheers!! xo

1 comment:

  1. brilliant!! i have an avocado that is calling my name and a need for salad dressing tomorrow! i'm going to do it sans dairy but i shall let you know how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete