Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Apple Butter!!



Again folks, I had too much of a good thing.  My roommate works at a gym in the area and is always coming home with bushels of apples.  I HATE letting good food go to waste, so I had to think of a way to preserve them.  


Enter the APPLE BUTTER!!


So easy, so delicious!


First things first.  You'll need to peel, core, and grate your apples, oh about 5 lbs worth.  This is the most tedious part.   I had to have a friend help.
I used both gala and washington apples since those were all I had.  Granny smiths are also nice, as they have a zingy flavor!  


Once those are all grated, add them to your slow-cooker.


In another bowl, add 
2.5 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons ground clove
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Mix all that up and dump it in with the grated apples, combining thoroughly.  

Turn the cooker on high for one hour.  





It should boil a little on the sides, and then turn it down to low for another 9-11 hours.  It's a long process, that's why it's the perfect job for a slow-cooker!!  Whisk it as often as you can, you want to break up all those apple bits.  
I did it all at night, right before bed, and when I woke up the next morning, my apartment smelled like Yankee candle company!

Eventually, it will get super dark, rich, and caramely.  If you prefer your apple butter smooth, like me, you can tuck in your immersion blender, otherwise, pack it up into containers for the fridge!  

You can put it on so many things!! 

A spoonful into a bowl of cottage cheese, 
Add it to cream cheese and serve with graham crackers,
Put a dollop in your oatmeal, 
Add it to cookie and cake recipes,
On butter crackers, put a small schmear and a piece of sharp cheddar,
Just serve on toast for a quick and tasty breakfast!


P.S.  I ate it all before I had a chance to take a pic.  Sooooo I had to borrow a finished image.  It looks the same though!

No comments:

Post a Comment