Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lunch!! Polenta with Spinach!!


It's time to hit the market again, I'm running out of fresh food!  It's not a huge deal though, because I am the most avid fan of frozen veggies (especially Birdseye brand).  From what I've heard, they're sometimes even better for you than fresh!  The reason being that most frozen veggies are frozen within a few hours of harvesting, which in turn preserves their vitamin and mineral content.  Whereas fresh veggies actually lose nutrition every hour after they've been cut.  Not only that, but you can totally stock up on the frozen ones and literally fill your freezer every time the grocer's is having a sale!  And they are definitely more affordable than the fresh.  I sometimes get mine at Safeway, 2 bags for $6!  A STEAL!!  And they're always ready when you need them!  Add them to soups or sauces, put them directly on a pizza, or even just microwave a bowl-ful!   I'm shamelessly advocating for frozen veggies I suppose, but they're just so amazing!

Ok, enough proselytizing, and on to the good stuff.  My lunch!!  I haven't made this tasty dish in MONTHS, but like I said in a previous post, I'm trying my best to return to my days of healthier eating.  

It is actually pretty basic.  Just a combination of polenta, minced carrots (just chop up some shredded ones), frozen spinach, salt, pepper, powdered garlic, and powdered onion!  I actually make my own polenta, that way I have more control over what goes into it.  But if you're strapped for time, or not totally confident of your stovetop abilities, the ready-made rolls will do just fine!
If you want to make your own, like me, you will need, 


3 cups water
3/4 cups yellow cornmeal (NOT cornbread mix)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1/3 cup parmesan (optional)


Bring the water and salt to a boil and then carefully whisk in the cornmeal.  Reduce the heat to low and cook until it thickens, anywhere from 5-15 minutes, whisking often.  When the cornmeal is soft, take it off the heat and stir in the butter and after that, the cheese.
Voila.  Polenta!  Sometimes, if I want it extra rich, I stir in a few tablespoons of cream cheese.  YUM!


Whichever polenta you decide to use, be it ready-made or fresh, combine it with the carrots, spinach, salt, pepper, and powdered garlic and onion!  (you can adjust the amount of veggies based on your preferences)  If you're going to eat it right away, make sure you microwave the spinach first.  Otherwise you can make a big ol' batch and put it in containers to heat up later.  It keeps well, and even gets tastier with time.  Enjoy!
Cheers! xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment